07 June 2008

Saturday fun

This morning as I was having morning chiyaa and biscuits, Asuna (one of the didis) came up to me, pointed to the tika on her forehead, and said, “You like?” Tika is red vermillion powder placed on the forehead as a blessing or as decoration, and the didis wear it almost daily. I said yes, and she put one on my forehead too. It was very sweet--I guess we’re BFFs now.

It was kind of rainy this morning, and the kids got one of their twice-weekly baths this morning, so we decided to play inside to stay clean and dry. (These kids are tough. They shower outside with cold water and get soaped up by the didis in a somewhat assembly line fashion. What do they do in the winter?) Chris had brought a friendship bracelet kit along from the U.S., so we spent the better part of the morning making bracelets. Then this afternoon everyone piled in a van and a taxi and went to Lakeside for ice cream. The kids put on all their best clothes, including new shirts that Hannah brought, and even the didis got all dolled up in their best kurtas. (Most Nepali women wear kurta surwaals, which are long tops, loose fitting pants, and a scarf, in pretty much every color and pattern you can imagine. To get one, you go to a tailor and pick out the fabric you want and then get one made especially for you, which Hannah and I plan to do. How often do you get the chance to get clothes made just for you?) The kids were pumped. They sang songs on the way to Lakeside (except for Amrit, who sat grumpily with his hands over his ears), including Jingle Bells, the only one in English. Everyone had a great time.

At 3:00 the kids’ dance teacher came to the house. Hannah and I warmed up along with them, and then watched some of the older girls do a traditional Nepali dance (I think). They are very good dancers. I am not.

Tonight Chris, Hannah and I are staying in a hotel in Lakeside. When Chris suggested a weekly hotel stay, I didn’t particularly care either way, but now that we are here, I’m glad. Our lives at Sam’s House aren’t particularly busy or stressful, but it will still be nice to just relax a little. Peace and quiet seem to be precious commodities in that house.

Make sure you check out Chris's blog as well. He has much better luck posting pictures than I do (maybe he's just more patient...) and is uploading some as we speak.

No comments: