04 June 2008

quick update

Last night Hannah and I had a homework assignment from Rekha to practice our Nepali with the didis. As they were cleaning up after dinner, we went in the kitchen and asked our first, incredibly basic Nepali question: "Tapaaiko naam ke ho?" (What is your name?) and they immediately burst into an uproar. They thought we were hilarious. We spent a lot of time talking to them, and they were very patient with us. Then, later when we were getting ready for bed, Susma (one of the didis) peeked into our room, gestured to the chairs in the living room, and said, "Talk?" So we sat up and talked to them until we had exhausted all the Nepali and English phrases we both knew. They kept asking us if we were tired and wanted to go to bed: "Problem?" No, no problem, we're not tired. We were so excited they wanted to talk to us!

We've got to get back to the house--the kids are home from school. Yesterday it was raining but today it looks like it will hold off, so we will get a chance to play outside with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brittany. It is fascinating reading your blog. I am so excited for you. What an experience. I told Rick that you're going to be an ambassador some day (or something like that). Can't wait to read the next update...

The rain here has put our remodeling on hold. I posted pix on facebook so you can see where we're at.

It's been nice living at mom & dad's...the laundry magically gets done & supper made---all while I'm at work!!! I could get used to this...

Be safe. Have fun. Learn lots.
Love, Shan & the Gang

Anonymous said...

I kind of agree with Shannon about what your occupation will be. I think you will be in politics, like a Senator or something. Enjoy your experience, but be safe! I know your Mother will be glad when you are back on American soil, I know I was when Stephanie went to India.
Aunt Darlys