13 June 2008

long overdue

I didn’t realize it’s been so long since I updated. Hannah and I started volunteering at the kids’ school this week, so I’ve been busier than usual. Where to begin…

Hannah and I got kurta surwaals made for us this week. We brought Asuna, one of the didis, along with us for help. Hannah got a blue iridescent kurta (top) with a pink surwaal (pants) and pink scarf, and my outfit was all dark pink. After we picked them up from the tailor we immediately tried them on for the didis, who, of course, were delighted. We both wore our new purchases to school yesterday. All the women teachers wear kurtas, so it was nice to feel like I fit in.

Chris, Hannah, and I also made jello (or “jelly,” as it’s called here) for the kids as a special treat. They loved it. I could barely make myself swallow it. Nepali jello does NOT taste like American jello.

Earlier this week the 3 of us climbed to the top of a huge hill, where there was a tower overlooking Pokhara. It was a tough climb (for me, at least—I’m by far the least athletic of the bunch) but the view was worth it. I felt even more out of shape when we encountered 3 kids about halfway up. We had gotten off the path a little, so Chris asked them for directions and they steered us right. The 2 girls had huge baskets on their backs and looked like they were on their way to cut grass and collect it in the baskets. I felt especially ridiculous when they effortlessly bounded up the hill in their flip flops and we were breathless and unsteady in tennis shoes and Keens.

The biggest event of the week was volunteering at the Gorkha English Boarding School. On Tuesday Hannah and I got on the school bus with the Sam’s House kids and went to school to teach English conversation skills. Neither one of us knew quite what to expect, but I think we both did a pretty decent job of thinking on our feet. I played a lot of Hangman and answered a lot of questions about myself. Some of the older kids were incredibly shy and somewhat unresponsive, and I don’t think I was fully prepared for that. I’m so used to the Sam’s House kids, who jumped all over Hannah and me the very first time they saw us. And I was also a little frustrated with myself, for being less prepared than I should have been. Thursday, however, was a much better day. I came to class with a human scavenger hunt game, where the kids asked each other questions (in English) to find classmates that fulfilled items on a list of requirements (for example, find someone who has traveled to a foreign country, find someone with their shirt untucked, etc.). I think they enjoyed it, and at the very least, it encouraged them to talk to their classmates in English for a little while. Some highlights of the day: The 6th graders sang “All the Small Things” and “Wake Me Up When September Ends” for me—hilarious. One of the 3rd graders painted me a picture of some kind of purple animal. I got a lot of “Are you married?” and “Do you have a boyfriend?” On Tuesday the 7th graders asked me to watch their after-school piano lesson, and they played a Nepali song. I’ll teach again for the last time this coming Tuesday, before the school days are taken up by midterm exams.

Hannah and I also were asked to help coach volleyball practice yesterday and today (at 6:30 am. Eeek.). Poor Hannah—she plays soccer at Yale, and would love to help coach soccer practice, but Nepalis don’t seem to be used to women playing competitive football. She did a great job of pretending that she plays volleyball, though. I tried to help the girls with hitting, blocking, their rotation, and their defense. They’re great at the fundamentals but struggle a little in a scrimmage situation, so we worked on that a little. I had a blast. My favorite part of each practice was the chiyaa break—what tastes best after a hard workout? A steaming cup of tea and milk, of course.

Chris, Hannah, and I are getting some internet time in Lakeside this afternoon, and we are all anxiously awaiting tomorrow, the kids’ day off from school, so we can spend a little more time with them. I can’t believe this is the end of our second week at Sam’s House—time is flying by!

Chris uploaded 8 new pictures today, so make sure you check out his blog, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany,

It's interesting to hear how Western (predominately U.S.) culture exists elsewhere in the world. (Green Day... oh dear...) Unfortunately this transfusion sounds like a one-way street.

Are the students at the boarding school more economically advantaged than most? (Sorry for getting sociological!) It sounds too early for college/profession track decisions for them but it sounds like a class system develops pretty early in Nepal with education as a very important factor.

Once again, I am super jealous; mountains, an exciting new culture and...well...everything!

Take care
Nolan

Anonymous said...

we are at aunt debs, we really enjoyed your postings on your blog. keep up the good work and hope you are safe love you mom and dad .

Brittany said...

The best schools in Nepal are English (or otherwise foreign-operated) boarding schools (and not all of the students that attend are boarders). Families that can't afford the tuition can send their children to a government-operated school, but they are generally not up to the same standard as the private schools. And although the Sam's House kids attend a very good school by Nepali standards, it's still a little surprising to us Westerners because the students seem to do a lot of rote memorization and copying directly out of their textbooks. But yes, education is extremely important in determining what kind of life chances these kids will have. Lots of kids, especially those who live in the rural areas, don't even attend school (especially girls), and a surprising number of people are illiterate. Of course, education is extremely important to the Sam's House director and trustees, and all of the Sam's House kids are doing very well in school.