29 May 2008

Lo and behold, free internet in the Dubai airport!

Well, after wasting 7 of my 10 layover hours in the Dubai airport, I finally discovered that they have a little computer station with free internet. Had I found this out earlier, I would have posted in much greater detail. Here's the brief update so far:

I flew from Minneapolis to Amsterdam to Dubai, and in 3 hours I am leaving for Bahrain and then FINALLY Kathmandu. Hooray! When I arrived in Dubai I had to get a new boarding pass and as I was waiting in line a woman next to me wearing a head scarf and toting 4 small children said, "You're American, too, huh?" I said yes, and then she said, "Minnesota." I mentally reviewed my clothing, not thinking I had worn anything UMM related, and said, "Yes, how did you know?!" She said, "No, I'm from Minnesota. You are too?" And then we marveled at how ridiculous it was that we were both in the same line on the other side of the world. She's from Minneapolis, on her way to Somalia for 3 months.

Anyhow, there is a whole line full of people waiting to use these computers so I will make this brief. I'm in Dubai, and alive. Someone please tell my mother, because I'm sure she is freaking out. Next update: Kathmandu!

2 comments:

Lindsay Nevius said...

I hope you had to sit next to the girl in line at the Minneapolis airport talking to herself. It would have made for an interesting ride. Hope you're trip is going well so far.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brittany, good luck, dear! Just don't run into any crazy protesters!